Qur'aanic Verses 70:1 & 70:2:
1. Saala sa-ilun biAAathabin waqiAAin
2. Lilkafireena laysa lahu dafiAAun
1. A questioner questions punishment that is bound to befall
2. Those who suppress the Truth.1 There is none to defend ........
1. If a non-believer is told that Allah will punish him for his disbelief, he is bound to question its veracity. “I have been a disbeliever for years now, but no punishment has come to me because of my disbelief” he is bound to retort. He does not believe that this worldly life is a log drawn-out test. He does not believe that Allah would not punish him instantly for every wrong he does. He does not believe that Allah is giving him a long rope. He does not believe that Allah gives punishment in this life itself, only if such punishment is necessary for general continuance of this worldly life, or to give a warning to people that what they are doing is not good. He does not believe in the Hereafter, where he will be judged on his performance in this world and then rewarded and punished accordingly. He does not believe that he will be resurrected after death for this final Judgment. He thinks that this worldly life is the be-all and end-all of human existence. He is in a self-destructive delusion.
An extract from yet-to-be-published Qur'aanic Studies Manzil VII.